Beat The Screen Time With Winter Sports! #CapriSun #SeizetheDay
You can Win $2,500 from Capri Sun!! Read the bottom to see details!
My oldest daughter asks for the same birthday gift every year.
Ice Skating Lessons.
It could be worse. At least she’s not asking for a pony or hang gliding lessons! We have a great ice rink (only open in winter) but with a winter birthday, it’s the perfect gift.
On the flip side, our town also has an outdoor pool. Polar Bear swim anyone? Just kidding… It’s geothermally heated. The high school swim team trains there and it’s used for early morning water aerobics as well.
My “Ice Queen” daughter is thinking about joining the swim team this year AND is still talking about her birthday skating lessons. A little yin and yang, I suppose. After months of play practice for the high school musical, she thinks it has prepared her for three months of swim meets! (The real question here: Is MOM ready for more of the back and forth driving?)
Months of cold afternoons tend to encourage indoor couch time; vegging with favorite screens (computer, games or TV). But I would rather see my kids participate in winter sports and after school activities that keep them busy and active.
What’s your favorite winter activity of choice?
Seven ‘Get Up and Go’ Winter Sports Ideas
- Go Skiing! Downhill, cross-country, telemarking, and snowboarding (start with lessons if you’ve never tried it).
- Go Snowshoeing! Strap on giant snowshoes and go explore the mountain trails around your home!
- Go Tubing! In your backyard, at a commercial sledding hill, or meet at a local park with friends to glide down the hills. Don’t forget the hot chocolate!
- Go Watch Insane Winter Sports! Research nearby crazy sports and get tickets to go watch. Ice swimming? Luge racing? Ski jumping? Snow kayaking?
- Go Create Your Own Backyard Insane Winter Sports! (For pretend) Fly a Kite down a sledding hill, create a snowman completely out of dad’s clothes (filled with snow), or experiment with skateboards in the snow — always be safe and use helmets!
- Go Picnicking! No really! Build an outdoor bonfire (or use your patio fire pit) and host a ‘S’mores and Capri Sun’ evening! Bundle up and tell winter-themed ghost stories, even set up a tent on the snow and pretend to go camping!
- Go Birding! Connect with your local Audubon Society and find a bird watching trail or refuge. Take your camera and notepad, count all the different birds you see, and report back to the society as amateur birders.
These Get up and Go Winter Sports Ideas have been brought to you by Capri Sun, and their Seize the Day campaign! Head over to their Facebook page and upload a picture of your kids seizing the day for a chance to win up to $2,500.