Easy Creamy Italian Chicken for Weeknights in the Slow Cooker
I promise… your family will love this easy, kid-friendly meal!
This is a family favorite of ours and it’s perfect for hot summer days when no one feels like cooking but you still need a real meal.
- 4 Chicken Breasts (Our family of 5 uses four, but adding or subtracting wouldn’t make too much of a difference)
- 1 can Chicken Broth
- 8 oz. package Cream Cheese
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 packet Italian Dressing Mix (I usually use closer to a half packet, because the seasoning is very strong)
- Cooked Rice (But you could serve it with quinoa or any pasta of preference)
- Add four chicken breasts to a slow cooker on high with the can of chicken broth and leave it for one hour.
- After an hour, add the cream cheese, diced tomatoes, and 1/2 dressing mix packet, leave for two hours, stirring every half hour or so. At this stage it looks a little messy and chunky, that’s normal.
- Continue cooking until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Usually 4 hours on high total and then turn down to low and leave until ready to eat dinner.
- Remove the chicken breasts, shred, and place back in the slow cooker in the creamy sauce.
Here’s where the fun comes in! Dress it up any way you like!
Dish the shredded chicken and sauce over rice or pasta or quinoa or couscous, you choose. Feel free to go crazy with toppings as well, whatever your kids will eat and enjoy.
A few topping ideas to mix and match:
- red onions
- shredded cheese
- sliced olives
- green onions
Serve with caramelized carrots and enjoy!