Ender’s Game Movie Releases November 1st, 2013!
I’m hurrying to re-read Ender’s Game before the movie comes out in two weeks.
It might be one of only 3 or 4 sci-fi books I’ve ever read.
I read it when I was in high school.
At first I kept refusing when my nerd friends kept insisting.
Finally to shut them up I read it.
And then… I walked into walls because I couldn’t put it down & was reading it as I walked between classes. That was 20 years ago… (Or something…) Shut up.
I wonder if it will be as good as I remember??
So far I’m about 1/3rd into the book and yes… it’s still as readable and catching as I remember. What’s funny is how little I remember of the details to the story? I remember only a few things other than I loved it.
Here’s what I remember:
- Ender is a little kid… as in LITTLE.. 5 or 6?
- He goes to a special ‘military’ school for kids in space.
- He pretend fights and plays ‘games’ and at one point he does this new thing with his fight jumpsuit-thingy and before each fight shoots himself in the foot (which deactivates that part of the suit) only he does it with his knees folded up underneath him, effecting a shield with his knees.
- Oh yeah… He saves the world… only I can’t remember how?
- There’s a surprise at the end… but of course I won’t tell you what it is!!
Or we know him as the kid in Hugo.
And I was shocked when I found out Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley will round out the cast as well!
In case you didn’t know the author of Ender’s Game is Orson Scott Card, and he’s LDS (Mormon). In the book I’m reading there is an introduction by the author and he talks about his own childhood and his years spent as a Mormon Missionary. I’ve read several other books by Card, and probably my favorite is the Biblical series he wrote called ‘The Women of Genesis’. REALLY great books… I devoured all three in about a month.
Now. Who’s planning to go see the movie with me??