What To Do With Giant Zucchini?
Fall is in the air and Giant Zucchini make me happy.
I’ve been in a baking state of mind lately. First, Not quite home-made Pumpkin Cookies, with cream cheese frosting. Can I get a hallelujah!?
And the same week a zucchini growing friend told me my zukes were done. When I found out she had a big zucchini plant I asked/begged that if there were any that grew bigger than they wanted for immediate eating size, to please let them keep growing to HUGE status and save them for me.
Aren’t they gorgeous?
What do you do with giant overgrown zucchini?
My Fave zucchini recipes
- Zucchini Casserole (see recipe below) more like a rice quiche, brings me back to my childhood like nothing else.
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread (my fave recipe is from Penzey’s Spices- total blue ribbon winner)
- Battered Sliced Fried Zucchini (cooked on a griddle, not in grease) Especially good with garden fresh tomatoes sliced on top!
- Faux Apple Pie (You srsly cannot tell it’s zucchini slices instead of apple)
Today I’ll share my most favorite zucchini recipe. September is not complete without this dish at least once!
- 4-5 cups cooked rice (I boil up 2 cups dry rice and whatever that makes goes in the dish)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, I use mild
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt (I always add a bit more)
Mix the cheese into the hot rice, then add the eggs & salt (it’s usually cooled enough by then not to cook the eggs). Spray the bottom of a 9×13 pan and spread the rice mixture on the bottom of the pan.
- 1/2 of a large overgrown zucchini, shredded. Srsly I don’t measure. 4-6 cups. It always works!
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (staple of Mormon casseroles, what can I say?)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
Mix all ingredients and spread over the rice mixture. Cook uncovered for 1 hour at 350°F. It may start to brown on top, if so cover with tin foil at 45 min. mark. When done the center is quite ‘set’. Remove from oven and sprinkle with another cup of shredded cheese.
Happy Zucchini Dreams.