Vegetarian Tofu Scramble | A Lot Like Eggs!
I’m not interested in being completely VEGAN.
I’m not even that interested in a completely vegetarian life. But I have been experimenting the past few weeks… Yes I’m on a health kick, and I’d be thrilled to lose about 10 pounds. But really I just want to be able to run the Ragnar Trail Run in April and not DIE.
I’m not a fan of the word diet. I prefer to talk about my lifestyle changes and what I’m eating right now. At least until April, I’d like to keep to this plan. So far I do feel great, and my exercising is increasing to where I’m able to run 3 miles straight without wanting to strangle small puppies.
What My ‘Diet’ Looks Like Right Now
- I’m drinking more than 64 ounces of water daily. I still can’t believe it’s me saying that! Read more about how I get that much water down when I don’t like WATER!?
- I’ve cut out diet soda all week long and let myself have one 12 ounce can on the weekend.
- I run/walk/jog/bike 4 times a week and play old lady basketball once a week.
- I drink a green smoothie with either ½ cup uncooked oatmeal or cooked whole grains in it for breakfast. Spinach, 1 Cup chocolate protein drink, oatmeal, banana, frozen fruit chunks.
- I’m eating a lot of fruits daily. Usually a banana, several large chunks of fresh pineapple, sliced apples with peanut butter and whatever else I have on hand. Oh and I snack on an avocado nearly every day. (I’d happily trade sugary sweets for an avocado any day!)
- I’m eating very little meat right now. But if I fix ground turkey tacos for dinner, I eat it along with them, minus the tortilla and extra with the black beans. But I have several no-meat meals my kids are very happy to eat. Check out my Black Bean Soup recipe.
- I have a HUGE salad for lunch some days. And by huge I mean I have to pull out a small mixing bowl to dish it up! I often add cottage cheese and a vegetarian patty (my favorite right now are the chicken imitation patties with buffalo flavoring, chunked up in my salad, yum!) I’m in love with the Sweet Kale Salad mix, you can find it in a giant bag at Costco.
- I don’t love drinking milk anyway, so switching to plain Rice Milk is easy for me. I bought a dairy free ‘butter’ spread that tastes fine and has low bad fats.
- Cheese is harder? I once tried a tofu-cheddar and yeah… probably won’t do that again. So for now, I eat cottage cheese and shredded cheeses in a lot of my dishes. But not a huge amount.
- I’m going to write about my snacks next week. Stay tuned!
Now let’s talk about Tofu
I like tofu, so that’s one hurdle I don’t have to jump.
I happily ask for extra tofu in veggie Pad Thai. And I’d like to experiment with using silken tofu in some regular meals and soups? But for now I’m currently in love with making a Tofu Scramble either for lunch or for my dinner if the kids are eating something like pizza or pasta.
I LOVE scrambled eggs with a little cheese and salsa. I’d eat that every day. I don’t have anything against eggs. Who knows? There’s so much information out there good, bad and strange? I’m just trying to eat low-meat and low-animal products for a few months?
When working with firm tofu, I find that it basically takes on the flavor of whatever is around it. And for the most part when you crumble it up the texture and ‘feel’ in your mouth is pretty much just like scrambled eggs. Seems like the perfect meal to make with it!
Tofu Scramble Recipe | A Lot Like Eggs!
I buy a 14 ounce pouch of firm Tofu and use about 1/3rd of the package in this one person meal.
- Using a fork mash up the tofu into pea sized chunks.
- Heat up a frying pan on high sprayed with canola oil.
- Add the tofu and a few squirts of soy sauce. Maybe 1 teaspoon +?
- I’ve been adding a pinch of garlic powder, but you could add onion powder or other seasoning that sounds yummy?
- Add any other vegetables at this point. I used a small handful of spinach but onions, peppers, broccoli, diced carrots could all work. You could sauté the vegetables first if you’d like them more cooked.
- Flip over the scramble several times letting it sit for about 30 seconds in between. Mine cooked about 4 minutes total. I don’t really think you are ‘cooking’ the tofu so much as heating it up.
- Add a little cheese to the top and remove from heat if you don’t mind not being completely VEGAN.
Serve with salsa, an avocado and a couple pieces of toast.
What I really wanted was a whole wheat tortilla wrap, but I didn’t have one!
Calories in my serving of Tofu Scramble are a little over 100. Plus 12 grams of protein. (Before you add the cheese.) Some people will add yellow food coloring or a yellow spice, but I don’t mind, looks like an egg white omelette to me? I’m wondering when McDonald’s will start offering a Tofu Breakfast sandwich, eh?
Seriously Delicious Tofu Scramble! And your brain will think it’s eggs.
I’m going to start experimenting and maybe make a curried scramble or a pot pie-like dish?